Wednesday, June 30, 2010

30 June

(Posted by Kirk McCauley)

Hello everyone,

I appologize for the small number of blog posts, but we have been very, very occupied working on the house for Madame Mamoon. We worked from 8am to 430pm and got about half way through pouring the foundation. This involved a delay while our engineer gathered up the materials to frame up the slab, but once we got going, we worked all day. This involved mixing the concrete in a small portable mixer and moving it uphill by wheelbarrow load to the house. The morning was very hot, with almost no breeze, and it really sapped our strength, but after a brief lunch break, a storm blew over and brought cloud cover and a cool breeze.

A core group of 5 haiti teen boys really ran the show, under the supervision of the engineer. They are incredible, with a tremendous work ethic and attitude. Rob Goldsmith has really bonded with Ricardo, one of the teens (a friend of the Mamoon family) and we joke that he plans to bring him home. I really think he would if he could. Everytime I've told the boys my name, they laugh, and today I found out why. Kirk is prounouced the same way they say the word for Rooster. So I became known as "Big Chicken". Tom is "Big Boss", and both Rob and Rick have been called "Papa", because many of the children see these guys as father figures. Andy is "50 cent". Katie is called "Candy" either for pronunciation reasons, or because of the candy.

Most of the men haven't been able to interact with the little kids (too busy working). The youth and ladies have been flowing back and forth between working on the house, interacting with the children, and witnessing in the nearby village. We continue to be blessed with everything we need and the ability to get the work done.

Thanks for your prayers and keeping things together at home. Hey to my kids: Andrew, Abby, and Anna! I'll have a little gift for you. I love you Tiffany!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful update, Kirk! I love all the details you give us =) I'm so excited about the work ya'll are doing and how God is using you there! Please tell Rob, Katie, and Sarah that I love and miss them very much!

Julie

Lesa said...

Keep the posts coming as often as you guys can.Love hearing about the events of the day.I find myself checking the site umpteen times during the day hoping Rick or Lorin has written a post (hint,hint).Praying for God's refreshing sleep for all of you tonight and for His continued protection.
Lesa