Thursday, June 24, 2010

Less than 24 hours to "GO" time!!

I am sitting here at 1:20 A.M. and we are less than 24 hours away from our departure from Huntsville to Birmingham - a journey that will eventually lead us to Haiti. We are meeting at church at 11:30 Friday night, prayer at 11:45, and send off at 12:00 midnight. Our flight leaves at 6:30 A.M from Birmingham.

So how am I feeling on this eve of our departure as sleep eludes me? A combination of thoughts and feelings are racing through my mind. Excitement for sure to begin this journey we have been planning for months and to see the amazing things I believe God will do through us, to us, and for us. Some apprehension about stepping out into the unknown and the loss of control that comes with that. Also a little sadness about leaving my family behind. I'm sure each my fellow travelers are experiencing similar feelings, so we would all appreciate your prayers.

A song that has really touched me since our praise band sang it last month and has become somewhat of a theme song of this trip for me is "God of this City" by Chris Tomlin. Here are the lyrics:

You're the God of this City
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are

You're the Light in this darkness
You're the Hope to the hopeless
You're the Peace to the restless
You are

There is no one like our God
There is no one like our God

For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City
Greater thing have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City

This is what I keep reminding myself of - God is all of these things. The line "You're the Hope to the hopeless" seems especially appropriate. I'm sure after the earthquake, many people in Haiti felt hopeless and many possibly still do. God is our source of hope and my prayer is that in the coming week, we can share that Hope with those we come in contact with.


"God of This City" by Aaron Boyd, Andrew McCann, Ian Jordan, Peter Comfort, Peter Kernaghan, Richard Bleakley. Copyright 2006 worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing), sixsteps Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing), CCLI Song# 5037070

1 comment:

Connie said...

We will be praying for you guys!!