Monday, June 28, 2010

VBS in the villaage

Greetings from Haiti,

Again today was a hard but amazing day. Filling those holes using only the wheelbarrows, shovels, and hands required strength and stamina that only God could provide (especially this 37 year old mama). I was so proud to be working with the group I was working with because no one stopped except for the necessary water breaks and kept plugging on.

Afterwards, a group of us went with a translator into the village to conduct a VBS with the kids. Several of our youth, Katie, Nelson, Jacob, Lorin, and Courtney along with Rick, Colby, and myself followed our intrepreter along a path that lead us through banana groves, over streams, deeper into (what seemed to me) the jungle. Kids joined us all along the way as we were walking. It seemed that each child that joined us picked a person to be "their" person. Ti Ti Bobby chose me. As we walked along I asked his name, and he asked mine and we both kept repeating the other's name. The experience was almost surreal. I looked down at the small hand in mine and at the surroundings around me and almost couldn't believe I was really here.

1 comment:

Cathy Howell said...

It sounds like you are having an awesome experience and God is really using you all in an amazing way. I look forward to reading more and seeing lots of pictures when you return. Keeping you all in my prayers. P.S. I am keeping Mama updated as well.

Love Cathy